Monday, May 30, 2016

Remembrance

Today, in the United States, we observe Memorial Day. This particular holiday isn't a celebration nor is it a particularly joyous one. This is the day we remember those who have died in active service of our military.

I come from a very active military family. My mother was in the Air Force. I have an aunt and an uncle who met in the Marines. I have an uncle who served in the Navy. I have another aunt who served in the Army. And that's all just on my mother's side of my family.

When I was graduating high school, I even tried to join the Air Force. I had a couple medical concerns that kept me out. I remember taking the bus back from MEPS just devastated. Obviously, it all worked out. I wasn't fated to be in the military. But, on that day, it was a pretty big blow. I'd planned to join the military my whole life. Now I had to find a new plan.

Nobody in my family died during active service. Something I'll always be grateful for. Especially on this day. But there are many Americans who have lost somebody.

Today, I remember them. To those who have died protecting my freedoms- thank you for your sacrifice.

No comments:

Post a Comment