Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Summertime is Finally Here!

I'm not going to lie, this spring was rough. I live in Texas. This wasn't a happenstance. I moved here intentionally. And, as such, I have certain expectations when it comes to weather. This spring fell short on all of them. Yes, we needed the rain so I'm not complaining-technically. But there were times I felt like I was living in Seattle over the last couple of months? Where was my sunshine? Where did the warmth go? I'm happy to report that our weather has finally sorted itself out and we have finally entered summer! In celebration, I'm doing my top five things I love about summer.

5. Swimming- I've always loved to swim. Something about how the world disappears when I put my head under the water. All my worries and the chaos of life becomes muffled.

4. Being outside- I have noticed that I spend more time outside year round since we've moved but there's not time of the year that I'm outdoors than in summer. There's so much to do outside during the summer. Movies in the park, hikes on the greenbelts, or even ice cream on the porch there's just more opportunities to be in the fresh air and sun.

3. Days last longer- I like the night. Don't get me wrong, there's something magical about a starlit sky with a moon hanging over me. But it never seems like I have enough hours during the day to get stuff done. I realize there aren't extra hours during the summer but having it light out for a couple more hours makes it feel like I get extra time.

2.  Fresh veggies and fruits- I'm not exactly a health food nut. I think I might have mentioned my love of bacon cheeseburgers and queso a time or two. But I also love strawberries, blueberries, grapes, peppers, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes... I've yet to meet a fruit or veggie I don't love, actually. And they suddenly become affordable and available in quantity and verity this time of year. Just in time to grill them up. Seriously, have you tried grilled pineapple? OMG!

1. Spending more time with my kiddos- Sure, they'll be driving me crazy by the time August rolls around. And 'going back to school' will probably make my favorite things about fall list. But, for now, I'm so glad I get some extra time to spend with my kiddos. I know they probably wish I'd just leave them alone and let them play their video games but I really look forward to the bike rides, the swimming sessions at the pool, and even the time I force them to keep up on their academic skills. I read every book they do during the summer just so we can talk about them.

There are many other things I love about the summer. Balmy nights, frozen drinks, ice cream sundaes, and going on vacation. What are your favorite things that come with the season?


1 comment: