Tuesday, June 16, 2015

In the Defense of Sexy

My social media is full of memes right now that stress the importance of finding a man who loves and not lusts after you. Find one who kisses your forehead and not your lips (okay, that one I don't even get. My husband kissed me on the forehead yesterday and it made me laugh). Find one who cherishes you, not desires you. And if that's not bad enough, it's also full with blog posts that tell me I shouldn't be wearing yoga pants because it might make random men *sarcastic frighten voice* find me sexy. The blogs make this seem like the worst fait in the world. But, really, when did someone finding me attractive become something to be afraid of?

And while I shake my head and laugh these off, I realize they pose a societal problem. We're teaching women they shouldn't want passion, desire, or to be seen as sexy. Yes, you should want your mate to love, cherish, and adore you. But one set of emotions isn't exclusive of the other. You can love the person you lust after. Just because you desire a person doesn't mean you can't cherish them as well. As to the yoga pants, I can't control what other people think about me and even if I could-what's wrong with someone finding me sexy? It's too much pressure. And, at the end of the day, we're just making ourselves miserable.

Obviously every relationship and every person is different. I appreciate that. Some people don't want sexy in their life. I'm good with that. But please don't push your ideas onto the next generation. I'm a confident woman who's been married for eighteen years (this November) and the meme's and posts have an affect on me. I start to question myself. I can only imagine the affect they have on younger women who are in a new relationship.


5 comments:

  1. I will not wear yoga pants in public, but I do wear corsets. You would think I was walking around naked the way some people react. Don't care. I will dress sexy. At least I hope I am. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a sexy woman :) I wore a dress without a bra the other day and got similar reactions. I wasn't even trying to be sexy when I did it. It's just one of those dresses where you either see my bra or you see my nipples. And I'm very small chested so I didn't think it'd be a big deal. I was wrong. I wanted to shout, "They're nipples people! We all have them."

      Delete
    2. Just for clarification, the dress isn't transparent or anything like that. You couldn't actually see my nipples. But the dress was made out of a thin jersey material and everybody in Texas keeps their air on like -20 in the summer so...yeah.

      Delete
  2. OMG best comments ever today!!

    And I want a man who I know is stripping me naked in his head from across the room. I want sexting and hotness till the day I day.
    SEXY TOTALLY WINS!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! There's nothing sexier than that look a guy gets when he's picturing you naked and in his bed. My husband still makes my knees weak with that look.

      Delete