Sunday, November 30, 2014

Love at First Bite

No, this isn't a vampire post. And it isn't a werewolf post (though I would expect one here soon if I were you). It's actually a cooking post. Sometimes, in interviews, I'm asked what it is I like to do when not writing. It's a pretty good sized list. I enjoy a lot of things. But one of my favorites is cooking. It's something I have in common with my husband. We both enjoy being in the kitchen. Sometimes so much so that we actually fight about who is going to cook that night and what we're going to make.

I'm not a gourmet chef. I don't wander too far out of my comfort zone. If I can't pronounce and have never tried a dish, chances are I'm not going to attempt it. But I do really enjoy cooking. Especially this time of year. So after we'd eaten the stuffing, green bean casserole, brownies, and pumpkin pie, I started craving something with a little tartness to it. More than anything else, I wanted cherry crumble! Which was kind of crazy because I hadn't had it since I was a child. And I quickly realized that, as much as I loved eating cherry crumble, I'd never actually made it. Not even with my mom when I was a kid. Which was a shame given how easy it is to make. So this was my first attempt. And it was pretty darn good if I do say so myself. Even our guest who dislikes cherry pie filling liked it. She had two servings.

Cherry Crumble


Ingredients:


6 tablespoons butter

1 1/8 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 cup granola (I used a vanilla/almond granola but I can’t wait to try it with coconut/chocolate)

6 tablespoons packed brown sugar

a pinch of salt

1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling

Directions:


1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

2. Melt butter or margarine in a large saucepan (I melted mine in the microwave in a microwave-safe bowl).

3. In a large bowl, combine the granola, flour, brown sugar, and salt. Pour melted butter over the mix and stir in until a dry, crumbly dough forms. Press about 2/3 of the dough into the bottom of 9 inch square pan, making a firm even layer.

4. Spread cherry pie filling in the crust, and sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture.

5. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until top is lightly browned. Serve warm or at room temperature. Refrigerate any left overs.

Happy holiday! 



No comments:

Post a Comment