Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Names and the characters that have them

I'm working on tour post and interviews for Dragon's Web release tour. One of the questions I'm asked a lot in interviews is how do you pick characters' names. I just choose them and never thought about the process until that question comes up. The last interview made me realize that my process has changed and I'm not as picky with the names as I use to be.

Everyone has a different way of selecting names for their characters. For me, I use Behind the Name. This is a great site with lots of information. They have a sister site for surnames. It's great. 

When I first started writing, I use to pick names according to their meaning and try to match it with the character's name. That became time consuming. lol. Plus after 30 books and 7 different series, I'm starting to run out of unique names. I'm sure there will come a time that I will have to recycle names and use them in a different series. but that's a post for another time. 

So Now when I start a new book and need new names, I search through Behind the Name and select several that I like. Some will be used in the future and one or two will be used for the WIP I'm working on.

How do I pick?

By the way the sound. I let the character I'm thinking about choose his or her name. I know the right one when I see it and speak it. Then from there I develop the character's backstory and their goals.


No comments:

Post a Comment