Sunday, August 9, 2015

What's Next

About a year ago, I had a friend ask me if I'd ever considered writing an interracial romance. I stared at her for a second, probably looking lost, and then said, "No. Why would I?" She stared back at me for a moment. She totally gave me that, give it a second-look. And then it clicked.

Because I'm in an interracial marriage!

I tend not to think of it that way. We've been married for...geesh...this November will mark eighteen years. I'm just married to my husband. The saris, curry, pujas, and the lilt of Bengali in his parents' home are just part of him. A part I'm happy to learn about and even participate in.

We had a Hindu wedding. I didn't see that as a conflict. It was beautiful. Every bit as magical to be married in a red sari as a white dress. And the vows we took were every bit as meaningful if not more. We both had to take a vow to respect each other. At no point is either of us better than the other. In a traditional marriage ceremony, he'd have to swear it with his own blood. From that day forward, I'd wear the red powder on the part in my hair as a visual reminder to him that he swore to respect me.

But after she mentioned it, it got me thinking...why  not? Why not write an interracial romance? There's so much beauty. Being with him and his family really is like having a whole new world opened to me. Of course, there are times when I feel a little lost. Thankfully, he has an amazing family who accepted me from the start.

So, wish me luck, I'm currently writing an interracial romance. Only the heroine is Indian and the hero is European. If you want to stay up to date on this and all my project (I have a new Black Hills Wolves story currently in edits!) feel free to follow me on Facebook or on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment