Friday, June 5, 2015

Revising an old manuscript is like cleaning out from under your kids' bed...

...You never know what you're going to find.

I've been revising--more like rewriting--an old story I wrote before I knew anything about being a writer. Let me tell you, it's a little challenging and great at the same time. The best part is the story line doesn't suck! The writing...well it needs works. LOL

The story is a vampire romance I started but didn't finish. It's still needs an ending. I think I need to add 2 or 3 more chapters to wrap it up. However, I haven't got that far into the rewrites to really know much it needs to end it.

So what is the challenge of revising an old story?


  1. The writing is all over the place. The tense flip flops from past to present, but mostly present. There is a lot of head hopping (where the point of view flips from one character to the next with warning). Keep in mind this was BEFORE I joined a critique group and my RWA chapter. I credit both of those groups as well as my amazing editors for everything I've learned in the last 4 years. 
  2. I'm finding random WTF sections that have nothing to do with moving the story along. Those are being deleted.

What's great about revisiting an old story?

  1. I truly see how much I've grown as a writer. It make me feel great to see how much my voice had changed and it changed for the better.
  2. I love the revising part of a story a little more than writing it. LOL. Yes, I know I'm weird. Just ask my friends. *grins*

Have a fabulous weekend! 
Lia

No comments:

Post a Comment