Saturday, July 5, 2014

How to Write A Novel While Still Working Full-Time...


Many of my friends have asked "How in the hell did you managed to write 4 novels in one year  while still working a full-time job."  My initial response to them 'It's not easy.' But actually its a great question, and since its been a while since my last post, I thought I'd blog about this subject today.

I must admit, these last few years have definitely been a balancing act for me. Work and family commitments take up many of those precious hours during the day when I could be in creative mode writing away.  Still, if you want something bad enough you'll find the time.  My motto has always been "If there's a will. There's always a way."

I seem to find the time no matter how challenging it can be. The truth is I'm very dedicated to the craft. Sometimes, I may only get an hour here or there.  But I also carry a notepad with me, and if I have a few minutes, I'll jot down thoughts that come to me or plot out a scene in my story. I find it fun to escape into a world of my own creation where the characters come to life on the page.  Do I have a crazy imagination. You bet.  But most fiction writers do.    

It's rare when a day goes by that I haven't devoted some small portion of my day to writing.  I guess the best way to explain how I accomplished writing 4 novels in a year is that I LOVE to write. It's a passion that draws me to it each and every day.  There is no other way I can explain why I give up sleep, or watching televison among other things to do what I do. But for me its worth it. The only thing that trumps writing is my family. They are more important of course.   

I've read that most authors ...are compelled to do it, maybe even a little obsessed. For love of the craft — not the fame or money or accolades. Just writing for the sake of creating art. And you know what, I have to agree with this statement.

I hope everyone is enjoying their summer. Well back to writing...

Decadently Yours,

Diva Simone






1 comment: